Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A Day in the Life of a Teacher

Today, as every day, starts with many handshakes and a warm smile. After attending a Capturing Kids' Hearts training in August, I decided to begin each day by greeting each student with a handshake, a smile, and a warm greeting. My students expect to greet me each day in this way and they remind me if I forget. So far, I have not missed a day. This gesture allows me to guage how a child is feeling and whether we are going to have a good day or are we going to have to work very hard to turn a bad day into a good one. I have noticed the handshakes have been firmer and the smiles from children in my class have increased. Sometimes they seem embarrassed that a smile escaped from their faces as if they were not allowed to smile or show emotion. Maybe school is a welcoming, warm, and safe place to be.

1 comment:

Gal said...

That's awesome. :)